Mall Gunman Suspect: I'm Innocent

mall shooting tacoma washington
The man accused of opening fire in a shopping mall yesterday in Tacoma, Washington, has pleaded innocent to all charges.

At his court appearance today, 20-year-old Dominick Maldonado was ordered held in jail with bail set at $2 million dollars.

He's charged with eight counts of assault, four of kidnapping and two of firearms possession. The assault charges include the shootings of half-a-dozen people and two who were shot at but not hit. Six people were injured, one critically, in Sunday's attack.

Maldonado reportedly sent a text message to his ex-girlfriend minutes before the rampage saying he was about to show the world his anger.

Tiffany Robison, Maldonado's former girlfriend, said in an interview broadcast Monday on ABC's "Good Morning America" that Maldonado sent her a text message shortly before noon Sunday reading: "Today is the day that the world will know my anger."

She said he also contacted her during the standoff.

"He called me and said he just shot up the Tacoma Mall and he's in the Sam Goody taking hostages," Robison said.

In the past, Maldonado has been convicted of burglary and theft. He was even ordered by one judge not to posses any weapons. Now he faces 14 new counts, which include assault and firearms possession.

Bret Strickler, who said he was Maldonado's best friend, told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer he received a similar text message while Maldonado was holding the hostages.

Authorities said they began getting calls about 12:15 p.m. that shots had been fired inside the mall. The first caller said a gunman "was in the mall, walking along, firing," Tacoma police spokesman Mark Fulghum said.

State Patrol and police units from nearby agencies clustered around an entrance at the south end.

Inside, Stacy Wilson, 29, heard a popping noise and turned around.

"I saw the gunman randomly shooting. I ran with a group of women to Victoria's Secret," Wilson said. She said they crouched behind a wall in the store, and when the shooting stopped, an employee ran out and closed a security gate at the front.