Michael Brewer, Boy Set on Fire, Tells Happy Back-to-School Story; Miraculous Recovery Continues

Michael Brewer was 15-years-old when he was allegedly doused in rubbing alcohol in Oct. 2009 and set on fire by three teens. Michael Bent, 18, the alleged ringleader of the burning attack, was sentenced to 11 years in prison on Dec. 20, 2012 for an aggravated battery conviction. Two other teenagers, Denver Jarvis and Jesus Mendez, are also serving time in prison after pleading no contest to attempted second-degree murder charges in the attack. Brewer largely recovered physically from his lengthy hospitalization and rehabilitation, but his family said his skin grafts still caused pain and he suffered from frequent nightmares. On March 21, 2013, Brewer was arrested in Palm Beach County, Fla. on drug charges.
Reenie Brewer/WFOR
Michael Brewer (Reenie Brewer/WFOR)

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (CBS) When Michael Brewer was doused with rubbing alcohol and set on fire, allegedly by three classmates at Deerfield Beach Middle School, his doctors said he would be lucky if he ever woke up from his medically induced coma - today, more than six months after the incident, Michael is waking up to a new reality, and going back to school.

Josie Lou Ratley (WFOR)

PICTURES: Michael Brewer's Remarkable Recovery (WARNING: Some Graphic Content)

He won't be returning to the same school where he was attacked off campus in October 2009, and family members did not say what school he will be attending. But he told the Today Show that he is looking forward to it.

"I can't wait. I kind of miss school," Michael told the morning program.

PICTURES: Josie Lou Ratley, Steel-Toed Attack Victim

Michael survived the October attack by jumping into a nearby swimming pool. But he suffered second and third-degree burns over two-thirds of his body.

The three teenagers accused of participating in the attack have been charged as adults with second-degree attempted murder. Each faces a maximum of 30 years in prison. All pleaded not guilty.

Less than 5 months after the brutal attack on Michael, another classmate, Josie Lou Ratley, was allegedly attacked on the Deerfield Beach Middle School campus by the boyfriend of a classmate, who was enraged by a text message allegedly sent by Ratley.

Michael Brewer had some strong words for his former school.

"The school is terrible. I don't know why I went to the school," he told the Today Show.

As for Ratley, who is reportedly out of her medically induced coma and responding to her family- although still unable to talk- Michael sent his best wishes for as miraculous recovery as he has made.

"I hope to see her again and get stronger like I did every day...she can do it," Michael said.

MEDIAPICTURES: Michael Brewer's Remarkable Recovery (WARNING: Some Graphic Content)PICTURES: Josie Lou Ratley, Steel-Toed Attack Victim

April 6, 2010 - Josie Lou Ratley, Student Attacked at Bus Stop, Gets Trust for Long-Term Care
April 5, 2010 - Josie Lou Ratley Update: Steel-Toe Stomping Victim Shows Signs of Improvement
March 26, 2010 - Michael Brewer Visits Josie Lou Ratley in Hospital, Gives Family Hope for Teen's Recovery
January 5, 2010 - Michael Brewer, Florida Teen Set on Fire, Back in Hospital
December 23, 2009 - Christmas Miracle: Michael Brewer, Teen Set on Fire, Goes Home for the Holidays
December 14, 2009 - Michael Brewer Court Docs: "Pour it On Him," Teen Said Before Alcohol-Soaked Boy is Lit on Fire
December 7, 2009 - Michael Brewer, Boy Burned by Bullies, Gets New Skin Graft
November 25, 2009 - Michael Brewer Was "Best Friend" Says Boy Originally Accused of Helping Set Teen on Fire
November 20, 2009 - Michael Brewer's Parents: Boy Burned by Bullies Still Asks for Water to Douse Flames